Monday, November 9, 2009

La PlaJA!

Paco and his cousin took us to some artsy fartsy fresa bar Friday and we killed two bottles of tequila and ended the night at 4am singing DOMO ARIGATO MR ROBOTO. 3 hours later, Paco's friends, Diego y Diego (the dudes from the Red Bull Back to the Future movie) plus two super hot Argentinian chicks Emma y Elina, came by to round us up for the beach. It was pretty hard getting up, and I never actually slept more than 30 minutes or so until the next day, but it was (of course) completely worth it. We ended up in Playa Maruata, Michoacan. So beautiful. So chill. Que perro!!! Only bad thing, Argentinians speak the most convoluted Spanish I have ever heard. They make their Y's and LL's into JA sounds and that was the easiest part to figure out. I barely ever understood them so I kind of stayed quiet most of the time trying to understand what the Eff they were saying. I felt suuuper gringa a lot of the time.



And I ate the best ceviche. I saw 4 shooting stars. I learned a lot of slang. I got to scope out Leticia's son half nekkid for 24 hours. Kind of a perfect weekend.



Kensey, I have homework for you miss scientastic... identify these animals for me. I thought of you while I was taking their pictures.





Today was the first day of class for me. We were told in our Medical Spanish class that we are going to have a final project at the end and I want to make an exercise video with the other two ladies. I think that would be pretty funny. I like my roomies lots.

I didn't think I was going to have clinicals until the final two weeks of class, but I was wrong. We have it 5 days a week for 4 weeks. I am going to have Spanish coming out of my ears when its all done. I think every day we will be in the same clinic, a small one outside of the city center in Tlatepaque. All of the Doctors and med students seem pretty chill. The patients are great too. Jaqí, one of the Doctoras, told me that unlike in the U.S., Mexicans don't have super anal privacy laws. The best part about that place is the one nurse, Señora Margarita, who works there every day. I think she loves me already. As soon as I got up with her, she had me taking off the sutures of a cut from a 3 year old and taking notes for her while she checked a urine sample. We're going to get along just great. My Spanish skills need sooo much work and the vocabulary ain't quite there but I sure don't mind trying! I told this preggo lady that she weighed 150 kilos...thats over 300 lbs. She and La Señora laughed at me. Of course. I laughed at myself.

One of the first things I learned in Spanish was numbers and I still don't get them right some of the times. Que pedo!

Allright! The Fresh Prince is on and totally dubbed in Spanish! El Principe de Bel Air! You're so jealous!

3 comments:

  1. uh, yeah, actually. i am jealous. sounds like you're having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was just wondering about whether fresh prince would come on here; i haven't seen it yet. what channel?

    south park is helping me a crapton. my favorite word of yesterday was "carajo," followed by "retada" and then "duelo" from the "served" epidisode. look 'em up!

    also check my blog for some cumbia resources. one of my favorite djs ever, dj /rupture, is huge on cumbia, and a very reliable dude.

    ReplyDelete